Anxiety is a normal reaction to stress and fear. It is caused by our thinking patterns. Everyone experiences anxiety to some degree. It is normal and healthy to feel sad or worried about life and its problems and pressures. But when worry casts a cloud over everyday life you may be suffering from anxiety or depression or a mixture of the two.
Counseling and therapy are some of the few types of anxiety treatments that receive a significant amount of research, and whose benefits have been essentially proven in the scientific world. There is more than one type of counseling and therapy. The most established and likely most beneficial is cognitive behavioral therapy. Unlike other forms of therapy, CBT has been consistently shown to benefit all types of anxiety. Other types of counseling include:
- Psychodynamic Therapy
- Holistic Therapy
- Gestalt Therapy
- Existential Therapy
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy
How can counseling help with anxiety?
- Co-manage getting life back to normal
- Help to define and reframe your most common anxieties
- Understand your own limits and triggers for anxiety and stress
- Help to confront and tolerate your fears
- Understanding the effects of your self-esteemand expectations
- Consider the wider context of your relationships and their effect
- Help you to manage and understand anxiety or panic attacks
- Learn to manage your life better through meeting your needs.
Whether it is a matter of making specific changes to your life or situation, or to your reactions and responses to these events, your counselor is committed to identifying and resolving the areas resulting in the overwhelming stress and anxiety so that your may experience greater freedom and joy in life.