Marriage or marital counseling is also called couples therapy. It is a kind of psychotherapy. Marriage counseling is often provided by licensed therapists known as marriage and family therapists. It helps couples of all types recognize and resolve conflicts and improve their relationships. Through marriage counseling, you can make thoughtful decisions about rebuilding your relationship or going your separate ways.
Reasons to Seek Marriage Counseling
- Communication problems
- Sexual difficulties
- Conflicts about child rearing or blended families
- Having an affair
- Substance abuse
- Financial problems
- arguments continue without resolution
Benefits of marriage counseling
- Destructive patterns of relating can be recognized and addressed.
- Conflict and communication can be improved.
- New relationship skills can be learned.
- The impact of change and loss can be examined.
- Relationships can be more successful.
- Abusive relationships and domestic violence can be acknowledged.
Talking about your problems with a marriage counselor might not be easy. Sessions might pass in silence as you and your partner seethe over perceived wrongs or you might bring your fights with you, perhaps even yelling or arguing during sessions. Both are OK. Your therapist can act as mediator or referee and help you cope with the resulting emotions and turmoil.