There are some common misperceptions about hypnosis and hypnotherapy, and some of these can make people nervous about trying hypnosis. The following are some common myths and facts about hypnotherapy.
- Myth: Hypnosis is an unnatural process. Fact: Hypnosis is a naturally occurring mental and physiological process which happens periodically and spontaneously throughout the day, for virtually all of us, all by itself.
- Myth: A person is asleep during hypnosis.
Fact: A person is totally awake during hypnosis. A hypnotized person is fully awake and aware of what is going on around them and they are supposed to be.
- Myth: A person can get stuck in hypnosis and be unable to wake up.
Fact: A person will never get stuck in hypnosis and be unable to wake up. It could be possibly happen that you drift into natural sleep, and after 5 or 10 minutes you wake up naturally.
- Myth: Hypnosis is dangerous Fact: Hypnosis is actually a safe and effective set of techniques you can use to enhance your life, feel better, and accomplish more. Hypnosis is a naturally occurring, beneficial, positive state.
- Myth: Hypnosis can be bad for health
Fact: it can never be bad for your health, because it’s a naturally occurring state. The problem is that a lot of doctors say to people “you need to learn to relax” but they never really give them the tools for knowing how to relax. So, if you want to feel in balance within yourself and the world around you, hypnosis is the best state to be in.
- Myth: Only the mentally challenged people can be hypnotised Fact: the people who can concentrate well and have a creative imagination go into hypnosis easier and deeper than anyone else. So it’s really not true that people who are hypnotized are mentally challenged or weak minded.
- Myth: Hypnotists have special powers
Fact: the hypnotists do not have any special powers. They just have knowledge and experience of humans. With sufficient effort and practice most people could probably induce hypnosis.
- Myth: Hypnosis is magic
Fact: Hypnosis has nothing at all to do with magic; it is not inherently mystical. No, instead hypnosis is a set of techniques and skills.
- Myth: Hypnosis is in effective
Fact: Hypnosis has been proven to bring positive results by people working in the field as well as in controlled studies done by researchers.